Saturday, June 26, 2010

Another Tattoo

 No, I haven't gotten the urge for permanent body decorations.  This is tattoo in  the military sense which is a celebration of the military - veterans, incoming recruits, and just a general party.  Wright Patterson Air Force Base puts on a great show each year featuring live bands, flybys, and spectacular fireworks.  Everyone brings lawn chairs and settles in for an enjoyable evening.  This year was a special tribute to the veterans of Korea. We have managed to be here for three of these tattoos which we so enjoy.

This is the F-22, one of the jets in the flyby at the Tattoo.

 You may not know that my childhood had a military influence.  My father was a commander in the navy and he continued to serve in the Naval Reserve.  That meant that every summer he served active duty in Norfolk, VA so we became a military family every summer as we joined him there.  (Not bad considering that we got to stay at Virginia Beach many times).  As children we were very much aware of everything Navy;  part of our sing-a-long repertoire on car trips were the songs of the various branches of the military!  In addition, my Aunt Eva was a Marine.  Then, of course, Gary is a veteran of Viet Nam.
So military tradition is  a part of life for me.  I guess that's the reason I find these tattoos so enjoyable; they fit comfortably with who I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment